11am Service 11 October 2020
The sermon outline is attached below along with some reflection questions. See you Wednesday at 7:30 on Zoom. Link is on the attached PDF.
Dear GCBC Parents:
Sunday, we will take a brief break from Romans as Will Miron will bring a message to us from John 17. This is often called the high priestly prayer of Jesus. We glean so much from Jesus’ words to the Father. Jesus prays for God to be glorified and for believers to be sanctified and unified so that the world will know that God sent him. I chose different verses from throughout the chapter for the children to study. Please talk with your children about what they think these verses mean and how they apply to our lives.
Sunday, 11th October Links:
Digging Deeper for Children (print the Digging Deeper worksheet or write out the following Scripture passage on your own piece of paper and follow the instructions below; then answer the questions listed after the verses)
- Circle the word “glory” every time you see it. How many are there? ___
- Put a square around who Jesus was with before the world began (vv. 5, 24).
John 17 (NLT)
1 After saying all these things, Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you.
4 I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5 Now, Father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began.
9 “My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you. 10 All who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory.
22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one.
24 Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!
Jesus is praying in John 17. Draw or write what you think these specific verses say about these things: (1) eternal life (heaven), (2) truth, (3) belief, and (4) unity.
- John 17:3 – “And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.”
- John 17:17 – “Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth.”
- John 17:20-21 – “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.”
- John 17:23 – “I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.”
Family Links –
- Right Now Media – “What’s in the Bible? Vol. 11: Spreading the Good News”
- Bible Project video great for older children/teens on the book of John –https://bibleproject.com/explore/john/