11am Service 13 December 2020
Dear GCBC Parents:
Chris Copeland will be preaching Sunday from John 3:1-16 centred around the gift of salvation from God through his son, Jesus. It is also our third Sunday in the advent season where we focus on love. John 3:16 fits so well with this as it was God’s love for us that drove him to send his son to die for us. I pray you are able to talk with your children about God’s amazing love and how it is the best gift we could ever receive. We just have to accept it!
Sunday, 13th December Links:
Digging Deeper for Children (print the Digging Deeper worksheet or write out the following on your own piece of paper)
Scripture Passage – John 3:1-16
Jesus is talking with a godly man named Nicodemus in these Bible verses. Jesus is teaching Nicodemus about faith and how to enter the kingdom of God, or heaven (which is also eternal life with God).
Draw or write your answers to the questions following the verse(s).
- John 3:13 – “No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man has come down from heaven.” Jesus is the Son of Man. Where did he come from?
- Philippians 2:7-8 –“Instead, he [Jesus] gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.” List all the things Jesus did as stated in these verses (hint: there are 5 things).
- John 3:16 – ““For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” What does this verse tell us about God? What does it tell us about Jesus? What does it tell us about us?
- Have you ever needed or wanted something that you couldn’t get for yourself, that someone else like your mom or dad or grandparent gave to you as a gift? Maybe it was a bicycle, a trip to somewhere nice, or a pet?
God knows that what we need most is to be friends with him forever. God also knows that we want to feel loved, happy, and safe. So God gave us a gift to take care of what we need and want. That gift was his son, Jesus, who left heaven to become a human and then died on a cross for our sins. All we have to do is take God’s gift by believing in Jesus.
Pray and ask God to help you believe in Jesus and receive this gift from God.
- This week of Advent reflects upon God’s love towards us. What about the Bible verses above help you know and feel God’s love for you?
Family Links –
- Bible Project video on love (click on “Agape/Love”) – https://bibleproject.com/explore/the-advent-series/
- Advent Guide for individuals or families from The Village Church in Flower Mound, Texas – https://www.tvcresources.net/resource-library/guides/2020-advent-guide/