11am Service 13 September 2020
Dear GCBC Parents:
Adam will be preaching on the opening portion of Paul’s letter to the church in Rome. This would be a great time to chat with your family about the Good News (Gospel) and what it means. Ask your children and teens what they think the Good News is and what it means to them. How should the Gospel impact our lives? Does it drive us to obedience? Do we feel the urgency to bring the Good News to those around us? How can we do that? I pray you take the opportunity to talk with your family about these things.
Sunday, 13th September Links:
Digging Deeper for Children (print the Digging Deeper worksheet or write out Romans 1:1-7 on your own piece of paper and follow the instructions below; then answer the questions listed after the Scripture passage)
- Count the number of times you see “God” in the verses below – _____
- Underline “Good News” every time you see it in the following passage
- Circle all names given to Jesus (Christ, Son of God, Lord)
- Put a square around the word “all” in verse 7
Romans 1:1-7 (NLT)
Rom. 1:1 This letter is from Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach his Good News. 2 God promised this Good News long ago through his prophets in the holy Scriptures. 3 The Good News is about his Son. In his earthly life he was born into King David’s family line, 4 and he was shown to be the Son of God when he was raised from the dead by the power of the Holy Spirit. He is Jesus Christ our Lord. 5 Through Christ, God has given us the privilege and authority as apostles to tell Gentiles everywhere what God has done for them, so that they will believe and obey him, bringing glory to his name.
Rom. 1:6 And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ. 7 I am writing to all of you in Rome who are loved by God and are called to be his own holy people.
- What do these verses tell us about the good news (Gospel) of Jesus?
- Describe the good news (gospel) of Jesus in your own words. What is the good news?
- How can my faith in Jesus help me to do what he wants me to do?
- Paul was called to be an apostle (messenger). Who can I bring the message of this good news to and how?
Family Links –
- Bible Project video about the Gospel of the Kingdom – https://youtu.be/xmFPS0f-kzs
- Bible Project 2-part video series on the book of Romans – https://bibleproject.com/explore/romans/
- A short encouragement from Phil Vischer (creator of What’s in the Bible?) on parents teaching their children the gospel – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlX1XzPTMB4