11am Service 30 August 2020
Dear GCBC Parents:
Chris Copeland will bring our message to us this Sunday from Hebrews 10:19-25, focusing on the importance of being an active participant in the church family. Please take this opportunity to talk with your children about what it looks like to be part of a church family. It’s not perfect because it is made up of people, but our church family affirms our beliefs and reminds us we are not alone in our faith journey. We are also called to love, encourage, and serve one another in our church. Can you think of someone in our church family that you and your children could show Jesus’ love to this week?
Sunday, 30th August Links:
Write out Hebrews 10:19-25 in large print on a piece of paper or print out the Digging Deeper worksheet
- In verses 19-22, underline the words/phrases that describe where God resides. Circle Jesus’ name or any other words describing Jesus.
- In verses 23-25, put a squiggly line under the things we Christians are commanded to do. What does the word, “hope,” in verse 23 connect to in verses 19-22?
Hebrews 10:19-25 – “And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven’s Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus. By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place.And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God’s house,let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water. Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.”
What do the following verses teach us about being a part of a church family (family of faith)?
Matthew 18:20 – [Jesus said] “For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.””
Galatians 6:10 – “Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.”
Romans 12:6-13 – “In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you. If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well.If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.”
Family Links – These are more for parents than children (except the last one). I found great encouragement and insight from them.
- Helping young people feel included in church – https://youthworks.net/articles/how-to-make-kids-feel-they-belong-in-your-church
- Advice on children sitting in church services (very apt for curing services during Covid!) – https://www.thispilgrimlife.com/tips-for-keeping-kids-in-church/
- Podcast (or you can read the transcript) on children in church services – https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/should-children-sit-through-big-church
- Short video explaining to children the importance of a church family – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INsNTdaBIG8