11am Service 6 December 2020
Hi Everyone, here is a brief outline of the sermon as well as some reflection questions for our Wednesday sermon discussion on Zoom.
Dear GCBC Parents:
This Advent Sunday is centred around peace. Russell Kerstetter will be preaching from Luke 2:22-38 where we meet two people who recognised Jesus as the long awaited for Messiah (even while he was yet a baby!). Their names are Simeon and Anna. Read this passage with your children and discuss what we learn about Jesus through Simeon and Anna’s testimonies and how we can follow their examples in worshiping God and telling others about Jesus. Also, take some time to reflect on the peace Simeon and Anna must have felt once they saw Jesus and how we can have that same peace when we believe in Jesus. In John 14:27, Jesus tells us his gift to us is peace of heart and mind. What makes Jesus’ peace unique? Will we ever have peace on earth (John 16:33 says our peace is only in Jesus)? How can we have peace when there is so much trouble around us? These are all good questions to explore with your children. I pray your faith is deepened through your discovery!
Sunday, 6th December Links:
Digging Deeper for Children (print the Digging Deeper worksheet or write out the following on your own piece of paper)
Scripture Passage – Luke 2:22-38
This Scripture passage tells us about a man called Simeon and a woman called Anna who were looking forward to the birth of the Messiah. When they see the baby, Jesus, in the Temple with his parents, they praise God because they know Jesus is the Messiah whom they have been waiting for.
- Luke 2:28-32 – Simeon was there. He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying,“Sovereign Lord, now let your servant die in peace, as you have promised. I have seen your salvation, which you have prepared for all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!” The verses above are Simeon’s response to seeing Jesus. What does he say about Jesus?
- Luke 2:38 –“She came along just as Simeon was talking with Mary and Joseph, and she began praising God. She talked about the child to everyone who had been waiting expectantly for God to rescue Jerusalem.” These verses are about Anna. What was her reaction when she saw Simeon talking with Jesus’ parents, Mary and Joseph? What did she do after seeing Jesus? We should be like Anna and do these two things as well!
- Luke 2:25-26 – “At that time there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon. He was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him and had revealed to him that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.” Luke 2:36-37 – “Anna, a prophet, was also there in the Temple. She was the daughter of Phanuel from the tribe of Asher, and she was very old. Her husband died when they had been married only seven years. Then she lived as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the Temple but stayed there day and night, worshiping God with fasting and prayer.” According to these verses, what do Simeon and Anna have in common? This Advent Sunday is focused on peace. Do you think Simeon and Anna experienced peace when they saw Jesus? We can have that same peace when we believe in Jesus, too!
- John 14:27 – [Jesus said] ““I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” Draw or write a description of the peace Jesus gives. What makes it special?
Family Links –
- Bible Project video on peace (click on “Shalom/Peace”) – https://bibleproject.com/explore/the-advent-series/
- Bible Project video on Luke-Acts (click on Luke 1-2) – https://bibleproject.com/explore/gospel-series/
- Advent Guide for individuals or families from The Village Church in Flower Mound, Texas – https://www.tvcresources.net/resource-library/guides/2020-advent-guide/